Thursday, January 20, 2011

Karate in Japan...

I wanted to simply make a quick note regarding Karate in Japan and my experience.  Though when I first went to Japan in 1974 I was already the holder of the rank of Shodan having earned that rank in 1969 while in high school in Cincinnati, Ohio.  I found that I was not nearly as good as I thought I was.  Boy did I find that out quickly.  Fortunately I was guided well upon my arrival in my first Japanese dojo to bring and wear a shiro obi(white belt).  I think it helped me get accepted by my sensei and get privy to learning the more advanced Shotokan kata like Unsu, Gojushiho and others which at that time I was not learned in.  I was infected by the likes of Bruce Lee and the incredible movies of that period like Kung Fu Invisible Fist and the Five Fingers of Death.  I even mimic'd many of the fighting sounds and style of these movies so when I went to Japan my karate was sloppy and truly somewhat useless. 

I was like the nail sticking up from the floor that had to be hammered back down and polished again.  It was a great learning experience.  My sensei was one of the best in Japan I could have lucked into, Isao Aioki at the time a Godan and under the JKA and still alinged with Hirokazu Kanazawa Hancho.  I have fond memories of those days of training there in Higashi Fuchu at Fuchu Air Station.  Later I will share more of this training but I have added a youtube link being one of my favorite of some of the JKA sensei demostrating my beloved standard JKA Shotokan of which the world is more familiar with in it's more pure form and practiced by some of the "old guard".  What explosive and wonderful skill.  I hope to someday get somewhat close to before I die.  Enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4KSLUzv3sQ


Humbly your friend through karate-do, Osu!

No comments:

Post a Comment