Friday, December 30, 2011

Budo & Loyalty

Budo & Loyalty

     I recently was made aware of an article from a former student who has excelled to great heights in Karate-do.  At one time he was considered the “golden child” and the one who would carry the torch when I am no longer here.  Unfortunately the article was one that glorified his accomplishments and offered a fabricated tale of his training and karate history.  He made no reference to the truth about his having trained under my hand and starting his Japanese Shotokan training under my guidance nor did he reference his rankings of dan gradings to his current state of 6th Dan having come from me and my sensei.  He has become somewhat now more of a pain in my side and a black eye in the history of students who have been given their birth and introduction to Japanese Karate-do through my efforts and teachings.

     After speaking with several high ranking friends in the Budo community I have found that this any more is becoming more common place than not and it saddens me because those who are sincere in their efforts are hurt because of their sempai who have cause their sensei to no longer give more than just the common knowledge and certainly not trust the those who would attempt to befriend the sensei. Those who are deserving of their sensei’s teachings and the depth and breath of their knowledge would be held back and have to work extra hard to earn the right to be taught the most treasured secrets.  Loyalty is a serious word and trait that earns great rewards but how can a sensei be sure of a students intent when others have betrayed their trust previously?  It is hard to know who to give your full attention to and who to simply teach standard karate.  It is sad that when a sensei hopes to find that handful of students to which everything can be taught and he/she must hold back know being sure of their actual intent. Finding the trust in that they will be loyal once you have given them the secrets and knowledge is hard.  Loyalty is shown through actions, not words.  Words are easy to say, actions are proof in the pudding!  I reward loyalty but still I am cautious at my age. Sadly I will not be able to pass everything I have learned in the pass 47+ yrs of study until I find that “loyal” few.  I will continue to hold back until then.  Tell me, who can I trust???

Humbly,
Kyoshi

1 comment:

  1. An interesting article and one that I hope you find peace with. You do not strike me as a vicious nor vindictive man, you give out the impression that you are a man of peace who shares his feelings and well wishes with all.

    This person has obviously upset you to lose sight of the bigger picture. What you shared with this man will be spread and although you will probably not take the credit, your legacy will live on and you should take immense pride in this.

    Please do not (ever) keep your secrets to yourself as the karate world will not benefit - its the message not the messenger that is important here. Long after you and I are gone that message could find its way back to the deserving - or you could keep it to yourself and no one will benefit.

    Just a thought.

    Ossu

    ReplyDelete